Do Your Part to Save the Planet with These Great Ideas
It’s no surprise that climate change and global warming are hot topics these days, and it can be hard to not worry about what our planet will look like in the future. The good news is there are plenty of things you can do in your home, at work and in your life to minimize your environmental impact. It is important to take responsibility for your actions and do your part in being environmentally friendly. Check out these 12 “planet saving tips” and see how many changes you can make in your day-to-day life! There’s no time like the present to look after the planet and Dollarwise is here to help!
Turn Scraps into Compost
If your local community hasn’t started a compost program there are plenty of ways to start your own. All you have to do is:
- Choose Your Type of Backyard Compost; You could opt a simple open pile or a compost bin.
- Choose Your Composter Location.
- Alternate Layers (I.e. Start with a layer of course materials (like twigs) to allow for drainage and aeration. Cover this layer with leaves. Then simply alternate between layers of greens materials (nitrogen-rich material) and browns (carbon-rich material)).
- Add Kitchen and Yard Waste as it accumulates.
- Continue to Add Layers Until Your Bin is Full.
- Maintain Your Compost Bin.
Use Reusable Shopping Bags
When you’re heading out to do groceries, opt for a reusable bag instead of using the plastic bags from the store. This will cut down on the plastic bag waste, and the bigger reusable bags can store more groceries. You can also use a backpack to easily carry the groceries to and from the grocery store!
Electronic waste can be extremely harmful on the environment especially when not disposed of properly Many communities will have a special recycling process for electronics so they can dispose of the electronics in the proper way, without hurting the environment.
Use Fluorescent Bulbs
Swapping your light bulbs from incandescent bulbs to fluorescent is a step in the right direction for the environment, and your wallet. They will use up less energy, which will save you money while simultaneously saving the environment!
Conserve Energy by Turning off the Lights
It’s always a good idea to get into the habit of turning off the lights when you are not using them. It can be hard to break the habit of walking out of a room or bathroom without turning off the lights but it will be beneficial in the long run. If you get into the routine of checking if all the lights are off before leaving the house you will be able to conserve energy while also helping our environment.
Try These Tips Too!
- Walk, bike or carpool
- Pick up the trash
- Unplug items when they’re not in use
- Use reusable water bottles
- Turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth
- Make your own cleaning supplies
The Best Prices At Dollarwise
No matter what you need, you can find it for cheaper than anywhere else by shopping at Dollarwise. For the lowest prices on everything for house and home in Barbados, be sure to visit the location nearest you.