Tips and Tricks to Stopping a Car Ride Meltdown in its Tracks
No matter how far you have to travel, your kids can often reach a point where they have had enough of being stuck in the car. We have all been there! A meltdown always seems to happen 10 minutes before reaching your final destination, which can be extremely distracting. The hardest part can be trying to stop a meltdown in its tracks. There is only so much you can do to distract your kids on the road. Using music, games, snacks, or books to your advantage can sometimes work, but you may also realize that none of these options settle a fussy kid who just wants to get out of the car. We have spent some time searching for the BEST tricks to keep your kids happy in the car. Whether you are on the road for hours or for only a couple of minutes, these ideas will keep your kids busy and keep you focused on getting to your destination.
Check out our other creative ideas on our Pinterest page; we have everything from car snack recipes, games, and crafts. https://www.pinterest.ca/dollarwisecarib/
If you are travelling with more than one kid in your back seat, these fun games can be played amongst them in order to keep them busy and keep you focused on the road.
1. Make a Tic-Tac-Toe game out of felt, magnets, or regular paper and set it up between your kids. Tell them that the first person to get five points wins and gets to choose where you stop for a treat!
2. If you don’t have any supplies to make a game, try these awesome car games that don’t require any materials.
- Eye Spy
- Go through the alphabet and each person has to look outside and search something with that letter.
- Make up a list before heading out on your road trip with a list of search items, have your kids cross off items when they spot them.
You may find yourself often telling your kids to stop playing with their food and that there are no games during dinner; however, playing with food can sometimes give your kids something to do during a road trip. Don’t worry, this will not help encourage your kids to throw their food around. We simply have found creative ways to make snack time more fun.
- Cut food into different shapes and sizes with cookie cutters. Your kids can use their imagination during snack time to make up stories with their different shapes.
- Give your kids food like smarties or snacks that have multiple different kinds of shapes and colours. Have them sort the food by colour or shapes.
- Make your own trail mix with your kid’s favourite snack foods. Mixed nuts, pretzels, popcorn, candy etc.
DIY Travel Chalk and Magnet Board
This fun chalk and magnet board is easy to make and will keep your little ones occupied for hours.
All you need is the following:
All you need is:
- Baking sheet
- Chalkboard paint
- Paint brush
- Chalk (the more colours the better)
- Paint the baking pan with chalkboard paint.
- Wait until fully dried.
- Attach a string + chalk so you’re not continuously searching for chalk in the car or elsewhere.
Easy as that, now you have a magnet and chalk board that your kids can draw on and play with while travelling anywhere. Easily store the board in your car so it is easily accessible when boredom takes over.
Found on: http://www.sunnywithachanceofsprinkles.com/2013/04/toddler-activity-diy-travel-chalk.html
Comment on our Instagram post with your car ride ideas, we’d love to hear from you. Have a fantastic weekend and see you next week for our next blog post!
The Best Prices At Dollarwise
No matter what you need, you can find it for cheaper than anywhere else by shopping at Dollarwise. For the lowest prices on everything for house and home in Barbados, be sure to visit the location nearest you.