Meal Planning the Right Way – Ideas for Every Meal of the Day
It can be easy to get into a rut, especially half way through the week when you’ve run out of prepped food. It’s easy to reach for snack food or purchase a meal to go when you lack energy to prepare a healthy one. Not only is most fast food loaded with fats and sugars, eating out often can put a strain on your wallet! This week’s blog post will give you that extra burst of motivation to prepare a healthy meal for every meal of the day. The next few ideas can also be helpful if you have a full household to prepare meals for, as all require few ingredients and can be doubled to make extra to store for later.
Studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of the day (https://fruitsandveggies.org/stories/atb-for-052610/) It’s important to fuel your body before a busy day with protein, and complex carbohydrates, that will help keep your energy levels up.
Baked Omelet Muffins
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bell peppers diced
- 1/2 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the interior of a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs and milk. Stir in cheese, bell peppers, spinach, salt, scallions and any other omelet ingredients you are adding.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin, filling them almost to the rim. You should have enough batter for 12 muffins.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are cooked. The muffins will initially be very puffy, but will sink back down when they cool.
Found on: https://kirbiecravings.com/omelet-muffins/
Lunch is important as it replenishes dwindling energy levels to help you complete the second half of your day. Whether you’re headed to the beach, the kids are off to school, or you’re headed to work, try this lunch idea that is easily carried with you wherever you’re heading.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 package of frozen corn, 16 oz.
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 1 can of water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- bunch cilantro, chopped
- juice and zest from 1/2 lime
- 3 + Tbsps. balsamic vinegar, to suite your taste
- Salt and garlic powder, to your taste
Combine all ingredients together and enjoy! Perfect to bring for a lunch away from home.
Found on: https://eatplant-based.com/its-beginning-to-look-a-lot-like-christmas-around-here-2/
Snack time shouldn’t be a time to slack and reach for junk food, as it’s a perfect opportunity for an energy boost between meals. You can prepare many different snack foods and store them in reusable containers in your pantry or fridge. Portioned out crackers, cut up fruit/vegetables, fruit juice boxes and homemade trail mix can be great for a snack throughout the day.
Build Your Own Trail mix
Trail mix can be mixed with any easy snack food that you and your family love. Things like nuts, dried fruit, dark chocolate, M&M.s, pretzels, marshmallows etc. The possibilities are endless and can be swapped around depending on any allergies or preferred snacks. The great part about trail mix is it can be made in large quantities, transported easily, and is perfect for the entire family.
Whether you are having a small dinner or having a family BBQ, dinner time is an awesome opportunity to spend quality time with friends and family. There are endless opportunities for healthy dinner items. Try this delicious and easy to make dinner item.
Looking for more inspiration for recipes and meal prepping? Check out our Pinterest for more healthy recipes and inspiration. Kick start your healthy lifestyle and don’t look back!
The Best Prices At Dollarwise
No matter what you need, you can find it for cheaper than anywhere else by shopping at Dollarwise. For the lowest prices on everything for house and home in Barbados, be sure to visit the location nearest you.